DS’s birth (part 2)

My water’s broke early on the 17th of February 2008, at week 39+3 (or 4, I can’t remember now).

The rest of that day we busied ourselves with last minute shopping, and our last hours together as just the two of us.

In the evening my contractions started at 15 minutes apart. We sipped on red wine, I was on my birthing ball, and then I went to sleep for a while. DH kept timing my contractions through my sleep. Some time in the middle of the night, we drove the +20km to the OBGYN’s birthing cabin (I do not recommend driving in labour – it was very uncomfortable driving through a contraction. DH had to stop the car for each contraction).

I tried being in the Hydrotherapy pool, but was getting tired with there being no way to support myself. I was also vomiting a lot and really just wanted to be alone with DH.

We moved over to the birthing area, me lying on my side with DH with me, holding me and giving me a contra to push against for each contraction. If I needed the loo, he was there with me, if a contraction arrived while I was on the loo, he supported me. He was my rock.

I completely gave my body up to the process and was supported by the doula and my husband – lots of lower back rubbing, and quiet candle light. The OB stayed out of the room, other than for an occasional monitor of the baby using doppler.

I found myself birthing in the birthing pool. I did not like being told to reach down to touch my baby’s head. I was deeply concentrated on what was going on with my body, and I was not rushing anything. We would meet soon enough, and I would birth him, even if it took one or two more pushes than the OBGYN thought necessary.

The moments after the  birth were extatic. I had done it, we had done it! Our baby was alive and well, I felt fantastic. It was just awesome.

I did not pay attention to when the cord was cut, or even notice that they took my son to weigh and dress him, I was getting out of the pool and being helped to the bed to lie down.

As time passed, the OBGYN was looking at the clock, and worrying about my placenta not arriving.He started to inject me with pitocin, into the umbilical cord, and something into my thigh. He catheterised me. He pulled on the cord, causing me excruciating pain, enough for me to physically push him off me. And then transferred me to the hospital, a 30 minute dive that was horrific. My son and husband followed in another car and my beautiful birth fell apart.

In the more than two years that have passed from that day, I have refused to think about it.

I told myself to be grateful I am alive and I have a healthy child.

And yet, as I already start thinking about giving birth again, reading up on how I will make different choices this time, I know that it might not have needed to end quite like that. I need t acknowledge the ugly side of what happened, not hide behind the beautiful parts of the birth.

I know I did not require a blood transfusion, which I have interpreted as there being no serious post partum heamorrage. I do not think I was actually at risk for post partum heamorrage. The birth of the placenta was mismanaged by a doctor who was following a protocol, not my clicical picture. Yes, retained placenta can be very serious. Yes, post partum heamorrage is very dangerous to the mother. But 30 minutes is not a magical number. If the mother is well, and there is not abundant bleeding, there is no medical reason to manage the birth of the placenta so aggresively.

I am ordering my medical file, just to see what went on that day. I never got a satisfactory explanation from the OBGYN.

The unpleasantness of trying to get myself discharged, the bureaucracy of discharging a new born and a mother was a nightmare. I had to endure staff telling me I am risking my babies life and all I wanted was to be at home.

I am definitely not a good candidate for hospital birth, or being in a hospital at all. I cannot abide someone else trying to control my body.



Filed under Uncategorized

4 responses to “DS’s birth (part 2)

  1. I’m sorry to hear about the post birth trauma. I too found that going through the hospital discharge process was like pulling teeth. I’m not one to just sit and nod my head quietly but I found myself doing it in the hopes that they would just let me out of there already. It shouldn’t be like this. We should be cuddling with the new life we’ve only just met face to face, not fighting with medical staff, after giving birth!

  2. mamawork

    Yes! The doctor was telling me that I needed to rest, and I was agreeing. She just thought a hospital ward was the superior resting option. I thought my bed at home was far superior.

    After we had gotten my papers cleared we were informed that my DS had to stay, as he had elevated something or other. It was a joke. We consulted another doctor, found out that it was probably an error in the test as there was nothing else out of order in the bloodwork.

    They seriously put the fear of G-d into me that I am about to kill my own child by taking him home. That line has lost it’s impact for me now… I have heard it too many times, and never justified.

    I really want to say ‘never again’!!! But I know that I cannot guarantee anything with my next birth either. I’m just less likely to have interventions at any stage of the birth without knowing just exactly why and what is going on. Including the 3rd stage.

  3. Juvysen


    After my Ds2 was born (he’s now 3 weeks old, so this was recent), my placenta took an hour and 20 minutes before it made an appearance. I wasn’t bleeding much and I was at home. My midwives just watched and waited. After about an hour, they gave me a homeopathic, and maybe 15 minutes later, my midwife used acupuncture on two points on my shoulders. Within a minute or two, I felt a strong urge to push and out it came, no big deal. There was a discussion after this about how, had I been in a hospital, they likely would have taken me in for surgery, and how silly that would have been…

  4. mamawork

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story. It is so reassuring to read such stories. This is a huge criteria for me now when choosing a midwife – that she is comfortable looking at the clinical picture, not following some arbitrary protocol.

    I have heard of women being wheeled into surgery after less than half an hour, if they birthed in a hospital and the placenta did not birth pretty much immediately.


    Congratulations on your new little one. Enjoy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s